- Distilled water: 750 mL
- 95% Ethanol: 10 mL
- Agar : 7.5 g
- Wheat germ†: 15 g
- Whole grain Total cereal: 10 g
- Soy protein flour: 10 g
- Special K® cereal: 5 g
- Natural apple sauce: 1 jar (23 oz. size)
- 2½ minute Cream of Wheat®: 50 g
- Methylparaben: 1 g
- Sugar : 86 g
- Proprionic acid: 2-3 mL
† Mother’s toasted wheat germ is available at organic or health food stores if Kretschmer’s wheat germ is not available in local supermarkets.
From Henrietta Band for rearing Chymomyza amoena.
Makes approximately 1.5 cases of wide glass vials.
Cooking Instructions (Stove Top)
- In a 3 quart (large) saucepan, dissolve agar into 600 mL boiling distilled water.
- In a separate bowl, combine 100 mL distilled water and the Cream of Wheat.
- Mix Wheat germ, Whole grain Total cereal, Soy protein flour and Special K® cereal in a blender. Add applesauce and mix again. Add 43g of the sugar and mix in.
- Add contents of blender to the boiling water/agar in the saucepan. Rinse the blender with the remaining distilled water and add to the saucepan too.
- Stir in Cream of Wheat® solution. Heat to boiling while stirring constantly.
- Let boil 10-15 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes.
- Dissolve Methylparaben in the ethanol. Add this solution to the medium. Add the proprionic acid. Stir in the remaining sugar (43 g).
- Pour the medium into vials or bottles. Store at 4°C until needed.
This food has a tendency to dry out. DO NOT add yeast sprinkles ahead of time!
- Glass vials: 10 mL/vial = 1000 mL (1 L)/case of 100 vials
- Plastic vials: 10 mL/vial = 1000 mL (1 L)/case of 100 vials
- Glass bottles: 1/3 cup/bottle ~ 2 L/case of 24 bottles
- Plastic bottles: ¼ cup/bottle ~ 1.5 L/case of 24 bottles
We use pourers that more evenly dispense food into the narrow glass and plastic vials. Our pourers are manufactured by Applied Scientific and distributed by Fisher. These pourers are cataloged as fly vial filler for narrow diameter tray packed vials #AS 77D, and for wide diameter tray packed vials #AS 78D.