- Agar: 192 g
- Cornmeal: 1440 g
- Sucrose: 960 ml
- Yeast: 1440 g
- De-ionized water: 22 L
- Tegosept: 636 ml
- Acid Mix: 288 ml
Cooking Instructions (Steam Kettle)
- Heat up half volume of water in steam kettle. Save the rest of water for rinsing containers and cool down food.
- Add Drosophila special agar while mixing using both motor stirrer and whisk. Set meter to 10 psi and heat to boiling. Stir to prevent clumping. When foam quickly builds up, lower the heat and add small amount of cold water.
- Mix deactivated yeast, agar, and sucrose with water.
- Stir and add the mixture to kettle; rinse container with water. Whisk to break clumps.
- Keep the setting on high and closely monitor the mixture. Let it boil for a minute or two.
- Turn off steam and let cool. Add remaining water to speed up cooling.
- Add the tegosept and acid mixture when cooled to ~60 °C. Measure temperature by submersing the thermometer probe.
- Mix and dispense food right away.
Tegosept: (for 1 liter)
100 g p-hydroxybenzoic acid methyl ester
1000 ml 95% Ethanol (not denatured)
mix until dissolved
Acid Mix: (for 1000ml)
Solution A (500 ml): 41.5 ml Phosphoric Acid + 458.5 ml distilled water
Solution B (500 ml): 418 ml Propionic Acid + 82 ml distilled water
Mix Solution A and Solution B together to make Acid Mix